Engaging Mapping Lab Check for Understanding
A fun way to check for understanding using the documents in your Teacher Subscription: Mapping Challenges 1 & 2
1. Project Challenge 1 map on screen and model process for finding and locating #1. Label #1 by placing a post it with place name in the proper location on the screen. (Suggest using the ‘Super Sticky’ post-it notes.)
2. Students work on completing all items on Challenge 1 worksheet
3. As you circulate and check for correct placement, distribute post it notes and numbers to students. Have them write the location name on the post it.
4. Then, you can check everyone’s work as a class one of two ways. (1) the slow way = students with post its line up at front and come forward to place their location post it in order, they use the coordinates and/or relative location language to explain the placement (2) the fast way = students post their locations en masse
5. For both, teacher can verify correctness by scrolling to the answer sheet in the PDF, lining up the model location and quickly verifying the correctness of the post its
Of course, this is the low tech version because all can be done with same steps and writing the location if there is a smart board in the classroom. The same process can be repeated for Challenge 2 review.